Name: Corylus avellena ‘Red Majestic’ aka Red Majestic Harry Lauder’s Walking Stick or contorted filbert.
Type of Plant: Shrub for full sun to part shade
Why I love this: How do I love this plant, let me count the ways!
- Adaptable to most soil types.
- Catkins (flowers) start in January and are interesting into the spring.
- Purple leaves in spring and early summer.
- Green leaves with purple new growth later in the summer.
- Squiggly twigs all winter.
For me this is a perfect screening plant at the end of the driveway because it grows as wide as it is tall, but it’s not too big. Said to grow to about 8 feet tall and wide, which probably means that it can get at least 10 feet in some locations. After six years in my garden it is just over 6 feet tall and wide. Hardy to zone 4 (-30 to -20 F)
Word to the wise: Be alert for suckers that aren’t contorted – these grow from below the graft and shoot straight up next to the trunk. Cut them off every spring.